Both Federal and State energy assistance programs are available to heating oil customers who have a limited budget. For example, the Oregon Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) is a Federal program that distributes funds to States to help low-income households pay heating bills. The State of Oregon program links are listed at the end of this webpage. For more information about LIHEAP through the State of Oregon, click here.
Keeping out the cold during winter and the heat during summer is one of the best things you can do to reduce your energy costs. In Oregon, you can get assistance to determine which energy-saving measures will save you the most money in the shortest time.
• Arrange to have your fuel tank filled during the summer time or early in the fall when fuel prices are generally lower
• Talk to your heating oil dealer about participating in a budget plan to help stabilize your monthly bill
• Obtain a home energy audit to ensure that your furnace and appliances are running efficiently before the season begins
• Weatherize your home by installing the proper insulation in your house and around your hot water heater
• Get a heating system tune-up, it willl ensure you get the maximum performance out of every drop of heating oil burned
• Open shades and drapes when the sun is out to let it help warm your home, close them when the sun goes down
• Turn back the thermostat at night or when you are away from home; for every degree you lower your thermostat for eight hours or more each day, you'll save two percent on your heating bill
• Insulate pipes to guard against heat loss and prevent them from freezing
• Stop drafts by eliminating any gaps between your door and the threshold on the floor, use a bottom seal that can be attached to the bottom of the door, it should brush up against the floor to seal up the threshold
• Caulk or re-caulk exterior spaces between the windows and walls of your home
• Close your kitchen vent, fireplace damper and closet doors when not in use
• If you have central air conditioning, close your air vents and returns to prevent heat loss
• Remove air conditioning window units, or cover them to keep cold air outside
• Keep radiators and registers free of furniture or other obstructions for top efficiency
• Consider replacing heating systems that are more than 20 years old as modern versions can cut costs by 15 to 25 percent
• Installing a programmable thermostat and reduce temperature settings on your thermostat, especially when you are not at home
• Install and close storm windows, consider new glass designed to decrease radiant heat loss without lowering visibility
If you have questions, please call MNOP today at (800) 523-7676.
1977 Claxter Road NE, Salem, OR 97301 | 503.363.7676
© 2002 Marc Nelson Oil Products | All Rights Reserved
800.523.7676 • 503.363.7676 • 503.363.5822 (Fax)
Marc Nelson Oil Products?
We believe that the history, philosophy, product mix and success of Marc Nelson Oil Products should make your choice of petroleum distributors a simple one. Nowhere else will you find a match for our commitment to customer service, and from no other vendor will you find the mix of petroleum products, delivery methods and expertise that combine to make us the right choice, every time. Whether you're a large business running a fleet of a hundred vehicles, or a small shop with only one or two-if you use petroleum products to deliver services that meet your clients' needs, Marc Nelson Oil Products is the choice that will assure your success.